On the 1st day of May, 1886, J. C. Hopkins, B. C. Martin, Martin R. Walker and others presented to the court a petition for the formation of a new township within the following boundary lines, to-wit: “Beginning at the southwest corner of Section 22, in Township 18 north, Range 30 west, and running north to the northwest corner of Section 27, in Township 19 north, Range 30 west; thence east to the northeast corner of Section 30, in Township 19 north, Range 29 west; thence south to the Washington County line; thence west to the place of beginning.” The prayer of the petitioners was granted, and the township organized as prayed for, and named Washington. The voting place was established at the village of Lowell.
Back to: Benton County, Arkansas History
Source: History of Benton, Washington, Carroll, Madison, Crawford, Franklin, and Sebastian Counties, Arkansas. Chicago, IL, USA: Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1889.