Lowell is a station on the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad, located six miles south of Rogers. It was laid out in 1881 by J. R. McClure. J. W. Main built the first house in the place, and opened the first business a grocery. Next, M. B. Hathaway erected the building now occupied by J. W. Williams, and opened a general store therein. The business at this writing (1889) consists of two general stores, kept respectively by J. W. Williams and F. H. Rizer; a drug and grocery store, by Green Bros.; a grocery, by R. H. Odell; confections, by J. Plummer, and a blacksmith shop, by Daniel Wann. Also J. W. Williams and F. H. Rizer each have a fruit evaporator and grain warehouse. Grains, fruits, poultry, timber and railroad ties are extensively shipped from this place. The village contains a brick school-house and Masonic hall combined, and built conjointly by the Masons and public school board, the school-room being in the first story and the hall in the second. This building was erected in 1885.
Lowell Lodge No. 424, A. F. & A. M., was chartered in 1886, and it has now thirty-two members. The principal officers are J. F. Archer, W. M.; J. N. Tuttle, S. W., and J. W. Packer, J. W.
The Missionary Baptists, Methodists, South, and Christians worship in the school-room.
Back to: Benton County, Arkansas History
Source: History of Benton, Washington, Carroll, Madison, Crawford, Franklin, and Sebastian Counties, Arkansas. Chicago, IL, USA: Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1889.