Author: Dennis Partridge

Franklin County Arkansas Obituaries

The following are historical obituaries of Franklin County residents. Butler, Amanda Ruth Caire, Joseph Clay, Argus Dee Foster, Guy W Hansberry, Mrs A J Harris, John C Hibbard, Thomas Marshall Hill, Kowanda Hoel, John Jennings, Ellen Jewell, Audrey (Marshall) Jones, Jesse Lee Robertson, Manford Williams,...

Read More

History of the First Assembly of God, North Little Rock, Arkansas

The prophet Joel’s proclamation some 800 years before Christ foretold the time when God would pour out His Spirit on all flesh. The first of such outpourings occurred in the Upper Room on the Day of Pentecost. Then, periodically, throughout these intervening 20 centuries there have been occasions of additional outpourings, but none such as have come since the turn of the 20th century. Denominations experienced great revival, but many soon lost their fervor. One Arkansas group, however, the Holiness Baptist Association, founded by Reverend W. Jethro Walthall, began receiving the infilling of the Holy Spirit around 1879 with...

Read More

Washington County Company to California

From this time matters quieted down, and although occasional crimes were committed, society resumed the even tenor of its way. In 1849 the “gold fever” reached the county. and many of the citizens became infected with it. From a letter written in April, 1849, to the Van Buren Intelligencer, the following facts concerning the Washington County company which went to California are gleaned. The company met on April 21, and elected the following officers: Lewis Evans, of Evansville, captain; Thomas Tyner, first lieutenant; P. Mankin, second lieutenant; James S. Vaun, secretary, and Martin Scrimpsher, of the Cherokee Nation, commissary. The company left the rendezvous on April 24, and five days later they had reached Grand Prairie. The company consisted of nearly ninety members from Washington County, thirteen from Madison, nine from Benton and fourteen from the Cherokee Nation. Those from Washington County were as follows: Lewis Evans, Hiram Davis, A. G. Evans. Leonard Shuler, Gus A. Shuler, William Hoge, Enos Slover, Isaac Hale and wife, James Blake, William Wilson, William Goddard, John Van Hoose, George Lewis, Wiley Cosby, Peter Mankins, James Dickinson, Jacob Strickler, Nathan Lewis, John Lewis, Nathan Thorp, John Ingram, John Powers, W. F. Woodruff, John Sanders, James L. Cartwright, J. R. Cline, George C. North, Edward Freyschlag, H. J. McRoy, Samuel McCulloh, James L. McCulloh. [p.161] George McKey, James Carter, George McClure, K. Crumley, Thomas Creamer,...

Read More

Stark’s Battery

Battery A, First Arkansas Light Artillery Volunteers, known as “Stark’s Battery,” was raised by Denton D. Stark, then adjutant First Arkansas Cavalry. “April 1st the battery was full,” so says the adjutant-general’s report, “but was not mustered into service until August 31, 1863. Meantime and until the 25th of April, of this year, it was stationed at Fayetteville, Arkansas, (though officers and men were absent in Missouri procuring horses when the battle of the 18th of April took place), when, by orders from headquarters of the department of the Missouri, Northwestern Arkansas was evacuated. From May 4th to September 21st, 1863, the battery was stationed at Springfield, Mo., receiving, while there, guns and equipments. In September Lieut. Robert V. Thompson, with one section of the battery, participated in an expedition under the command of Col. M. La Rue Harrison, through Southwestern Missouri and Northwestern Arkansas, in pursuit of Col. Coffee’s command, then raiding that section of country, and proceeded thence to Fayetteville, Ark. The remaining two sections of the battery, under the command of Capt. Stark, left Springfield, Mo., September 21, 1863, for Fayetteville, marching first, however, as far north as Greenfield, Mo., under Col. Harrison, who was then in pursuit of Gen. Shelby. Moving thence to Fayetteville, one section of the battery took part, about October 20, in a skirmish with the enemy, under Col. Brooks, at Cross...

Read More

Sale of Fayetteville Lots

The lots were sold chiefly at public sale, A. Whinnery being the auctioneer. These sales in the aggregate amounted to 86,339, of which nearly the whole sum was expended in the erection of public buildings. The following is a statement of the sales up to 1837, the names of the purchasers and the price paid:   Name Block Lot Price A. B. Anthony 16 5 100.00 A. B. Anthony 16 4 10.50 A. B. Anthony 29 1 10.00 A. B. Anthony 29 2 10.00 A. B. Anthony 29 3 10.00 A. B. Anthony 29 4 15.00 A. B. Anthony 29 5 15.00 A. B. Anthony 29 12 10.00 A. B. Anthony 29 7 80.00 A. B. Anthony 29 8 20.00 A. B. Anthony 29 9 15.00 A. B. Anthony 29 10 10.00 A. B. Anthony 29 11 10.00 A. B. Anthony 29 6 10.00 A. B. Anthony 30 30.00 Matthew Leeper 16 7 82.00 Matthew Leeper 15 7 40.00 Matthew Leeper 15 8 60.00 Matthew Leeper 15 9 $70.00 Matthew Leeper 15 10 76.00 Matthew Leeper 15 11 50.00 Wm. McK. Ball 16 6 82.00 Wm. McK. Ball 16 3 12.00 Wm. McK. Ball 4 50.00 John McGarroh 16 9 65.00 John McGarroh 16 12 12.00 John McGarroh 16 13 11.50 John T. Powers 17 6 65.00 John T. Powers 17 12 12.00 James P. Humes 32 1 16.50...

Read More

Sixteenth Arkansas Confederate Infantry

The Sixteenth Arkansas Confederate Infantry was organized under Gen. McCullough’s order, at Rogers (then Calahan Springs), about the middle of November, 1861, with the following officers, the list being made most complete when there is Washington County representation: Colonels, J. F. Hill, W. T. Neal, David Province; lieutenantcolonels, W. T. Neal, B F. Pixley, J. M. Pittman; majors —– Farmer, J. M. Pittman. Company A, captains, L. Swagerty, Jesse Adams. Company B, captains, —– Turner, Jesse Cravens. Company C, captains, John Connelly, J. J. Yearwood. Company D, captains, John Smith, E. G. Mitchell, J. Bailey. Company E, captain, W. S. Poyner. Company F, captains, David Goodnight, —– Stephens. Company G, captain, J. P. Carnahan; first lieutenant, W. E. Pittman; second lieutenants, B. F. Pixley, B. Carnahan; third lieutenants, V. A. Ross, John Eggers. Company H, captains, —– Kelley, J. P. Cloud. Company I, captains, Dan Boone; first lieutenant, John Garrett; second lieutenant, Abe Wilson. Company K, captains, John Lawrence, James Waldon. The last change of officers occurred at the reorganization at Corinth, Miss., where Col. David Province took charge of the regiment. The general course of the regiment was as follows, after its organization at Calahan’s Springs: It first went to Elm Springs, thence to Cross Hollows with Gen. Price, then Elkhorn and Van Buren, thence with Gen. Price to Corinth, Tupelo, Iuka and Corinth again, where it was...

Read More

Presbyterian Churches, Washington County, Arkansas

The Presbyterian Churches in Washington County are members of the Presbytery of Washbourne, named in honor of the Rev. Cephas Washbourne (or Washburn), who was an early missionary to the Indian nations, and who was probably the first Presbyterian preacher to hold services in Washington County. The presbytery was first ordered by the Synod of Arkansas, convened at Pine Bluff, Ark., in 1883, and met on October 24, 1884, in the Presbyterian Church at Fayetteville. Rev. S. W. Davies, D. D., opened the meeting with a sermon from Numbers XI, 10-17. Those present were Rev. S. W. Davies, W. A. Sample, J. L. D. Houston and S. B. Ervin, and Ruling Elders O. C. Gray, of Fayetteville; M. G. Hearn, of Mount Zion; T. P. Allison, of Big Springs; J. D. Reinhardt, of Alma; J. C. Clift, of New Hope; J. F. Nolen, of Prosperity; S. W. Dinsmore, of Bentonville; J. A. Dibrell, of Van Buren, and John Smith, of Fort Smith. Revs. W. M. Crozier and D. C. Boggs were also among the number. Rev. W. A. Sample was chosen moderator. The second meeting was held at Alma Church, April 16, 1885, and one was held with Bethel Church in October following. Presbyterian influences gained an early foothold in Washington County, not only through Rev. Washbourne’s great labors, but they radiated also from the faculty of Miss Sawyer’s...

Read More

Washington County, Arkansas Post Offices

The number of post-offices established in Washington County from 1829 to 1888 was ninety-five, with names of postmasters and dates of appointments, as follows: Ada: Archibald Borden, July, 1857; Hugh Rogers. July, 1858: discontinued February, 1867. Albia: Jacob Yoos, April, 1871; discontinued July, 1873. Aquilla: Owen D. Slaughter, May, 1884; Jeptha Johnson. May, 1885; John S. Johnson, November, 1885; Robert I. Fink, May, 1886; discontinued November, 1887. Arnett: Luke Arnett, April, 1883. Billingsly: Hiram H. Barrow, March, 1854; Lemuel G. Bassord, February, 1858; discontinued June, 1866; re-established July, 1866. Henry A. Sawyers: William K. Dye, April, 1867; Hiram H. Barrow, November, 1868; John C. Hanna, June, 1871; Horton M. Parks, April, 1872; Robert O. Ellis. July, 1872; Mathew M. Morrow, July, 1873; Houston M. Parks, February, 1877; Hiram H. Barrow, September, 1878; J. M. Burrow, April, 1883; Hiram H. Barron, June, 1883; discontinued August, 1883; re-established April, 1884, Thomas H. Cartner: Charles Marrs, April, 1885; John S. Darring, October, 1886; Ben. Elder, November, 1886; discontinued August, 1887. Blackburn: Z. C. Winn. July, 1880; Hiram Mannon. February, 1882; John H. Mannon, March, 1882; discontinued, August, 1887; re-established August, 1888, Alice F. Nicholds. Boone’s Grove: Benjamin F. Reagor, June, 1851; discontinued June, 1851: re-established with B. F. Boone, September, 1858: M. P. Pool. April, 1866; G. W. Lewis, June, 1867; Susan Boone (Mrs.), July, 1868; discontinued January, 1869. Boonsborough (late Steam...

Read More

Washington County, Arkansas Poor Farm

In January, 1852, James P. Neal, William M. Bowers and A. W. Brownlee were appointed to select and purchase a poor farm. At the April term they reported that they had purchased the farm of Elias Muncie in Township 17, Range 29 west, containing eighty acres. It was then ordered that two log buildings be erected for the accommodation of the paupers, and John R. Glazebrook was appointed poor-house commissioner. Here the poor of the county have since been cared for. The present superintendent is John A. Beckett. Back to: Washington County, Arkansas History Source: History of Benton, Washington, Carroll, Madison, Crawford, Franklin, and Sebastian Counties, Arkansas. Chicago, IL, USA: Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1889....

Read More

Ozark Institute

On May 19, 1845, Rev. Robert W. Mecklin, having withdrawn from The Far West Seminary, opened a well-attended male seminary about three miles northwest of Fayetteville, and gave it the title “Ozark Institute.” Its reputation spread throughout the region, and its attendance often numbered over a hundred students. To it were attracted as teachers such brainy young men as Rev. Robert Graham, who became the partner of Rev. Mecklin. Under them were assistants A. S. Lockert and Z. Van Hoose. The institution continued until February 17, 1857, and remained inoperative until after the war, when for a time it was revived by Prof. C. H. Leverett. Rev. Robert Graham was a Christian gentleman of remarkable abilities, and of excellent scholarship; he was a man who left his impress upon any society in which he moved, and with these abilities was coupled the earnestness and zeal of a convert of Alexander Campbell. He was not only a pastor, but an educator, and not only formed but was able to execute plans for the higher education of the youth of Washington County and the Southwest. He had made a strong impression on the students of Ozark Institute, and on his withdrawal from that school in 1850, to found a college in Fayetteville, he was followed by about twenty pupils. In October of that year he founded Arkansas College, and began the...

Read More

Subscribe to Arkansas Genealogy

Enter your email address to subscribe to this website and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 77 other subscribers

Arkansas County Genealogy

Recent Comments