This little village, consisting of the War Eagle Roller Mills, a large general store, blacksmith shop, and other industries, together with a small number of residences, is located in the beautiful and romantic valley of War Eagle Creek, in the southeast part of Benton County. Sylvanus Blackburn built the first mills at this place, consisting of a saw-mill and grist-mill, in 1848. These mills were used for a number of years, and until a second grist-mill, four stories high, was erected. This mill was burned during the war by order of a Confederate general, as claimed by Mr. Blackburn. The present mills were built about 1872. They are now operated by James K. P. Stringfield, who does an extensive business. This is one of the best water powers in Arkansas.
There are a few post hamlets, containing a post-office and store, etc., in the county not herein named. There is a telephone line extending from Rogers via Bentonville and Springtown to Siloam Springs.
Back to: Benton County, Arkansas History
Source: History of Benton, Washington, Carroll, Madison, Crawford, Franklin, and Sebastian Counties, Arkansas. Chicago, IL, USA: Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1889.