History of Evansville, Arkansas

This village was named in honor of Capt. Lewis Evans, who opened a store there about 1830. He was succeeded by Charles McClellan, and about 1838 a flood of merchants came in, bringing large stocks of goods to sell to the immigrant Cherokees, to whom large sums of money were due from the Government. As payment was delayed for fifteen years, many of these merchants failed, and the business interests of the town were seriously impaired. Soon after the town was laid off Leonard Schuler established a tan-yard, the most extensive ever in the county. A horse-mill was built by

History of Farmington, Arkansas

A little village six miles west of Fayetteville is called Farmington. It was laid out about 1870, by W. H. Ingles, and for a number of years grew quite rapidly, but of late it has somewhat deteriorated. The principal business is carried on by C. C. Conner & Co., who have a general store, and also operate a flouring-mill. Reed & Son and Rieff & Macy are the other merchants. A wagon-shop is conducted by J. H. Cato. Dutch Mills, on Section 28, Township 14, Range 33; Greensburg, on Section 16, Township 13, Range 33; Viney Grove, on Section 1,

History of Elm Springs, Arkansas

This name is derived from probably the largest of Washington County springs, and is a settlement six miles west of Springdale, located among great springs of such power that, not far from their openings, John Ingram, in 1844, found them strong enough to run a water-mill. This was the earliest mill in this part of the county, and was the nucleus of the village. From the entries given in connection with the Springdale land entries, it is seen that Mr. Ingram made the first entry on the site of Elm Springs, in 1840, and that in that region Thomas M.

History of Washington County, Arkansas Churches

Early churches played a pivotal roll in the early development of communities with Washington County, Arkansas. The following are histories of the various churches as known by us: Cumberland Presbyterian Church One of the first religious organizations to enter Washington County was the Cumberland Presbyterian. The first Cumberland Presbyterians to locate in Arkansas were the Pyeatts and Carnahans, who, in 1812, emigrated from Northern Alabama, and located at Crystal Hill, fifteen miles above Little Rock. The party consisted of James and Jacob Pyeatt and James and Samuel Carnahan. The next year the father of the Carnahans, Rev. John Carnahan, removed

History of Cincinnati, Arkansas

This is one of the best inland towns in the county. It is situated in Section 29, Township 16 north, Range 33 west, and is the center of a rich grain and live stock region. It is within one and a half miles of “the Nation,” and has a good trade from that country. The amount of business transacted in 1887 is estimated as follows: Aggregate, $224,935; merchandise, wagons and agricultural implements, $82,865; grain and grain products, $43,500; cattle, hogs, sheep and mules, $91,750; miscellaneous, $5,000. There are in the town five general merchants, two milliners, one druggist, one wagon

History of Washington County, Arkansas

The following section of this website is based upon History of Benton, Washington, Carroll, Madison, Crawford, Franklin, and Sebastian Counties, Arkansas published in Chicago, Illinois in 1889, and several other manuscripts interspersed throughout. A list of works consulted for this history is located at the bottom of this page. Washington County, next to Benton County on the north, is in the northwest corner of Arkansas, lying against the Indian Territory on the west, and bounded on the east and south by Madison and Crawford Counties, respectively. It embraces twenty-seven townships and an area of 569,600 acres, divided almost equally into

History of Boonsboro, Arkansas

Eight miles southwest of Prairie Grove is this flourishing community of two or three hundred souls. It is in one of the oldest settled sections of the county, and dates its existence as a village from the “thirties.” The first store was opened by Morris Wright in 1834 or 1835, in a little log cabin, just north of the present village. In 1840 he removed a little further south, and continued in business until the war. At about the same time Levi Richards and White McClellan opened a second store, and John F. Truesdale erected a steam mill just below

General Orders, No. 17

GENERAL ORDERS, NO. 17. HEADQUARTERS, TRANS-MISSISSIPPI DISTRICT LITTLE ROCK, ARK., June 17, 1862. For the more effectual annoyance of the enemy upon our rivers and in our mountains and woods all citizens of this district, who are not subject to conscription, are called upon to organize themselves into independent companies of mounted men or infantry, as they prefer, arming and equipping themselves, and to serve in that part of the district to which they belong. Where as many as ten men come together for this purpose they may organize by electing a captain, one sergeant and one corporal, and will

Geology of Washington County, Arkansas

Washington County embraces twenty-seven townships and an area of 569,600 acres, divided almost equally into valleys, plateaux and inclined surfaces or terraces. An idea of the general surface may be gained by considering the county to have once been a rolling plateau with for its southern, eastern and western margins the Boston Mountains and their several branches; then allowing Fayetteville’s region to be the highest point, with gentle slopes of the county to the northwest and northeast, you have the White River on the east and the Illinois River on the west, both with a bewildering network of tributaries washing

Fayetteville, Arkansas Societies

The society of a town may in general be gauged by the number and character of its churches and societies. Measured by this standard Fayetteville ranks high, having seven churches and eight lodges, besides several other benevolent and social organizations. Washington Lodge No. 1, A. F. & A. M., as its number indicates, is the oldest Masonic lodge in the State. In 1835 a number of Masons in this part of the State petitioned the Grand Lodge of Tennessee for a lodge at Fayetteville, and on November 5, 1835, a charter, signed by Hugh L. White, Grand Master, was issued