The village of Bloomfield lies on Round Prairie, six miles north of Siloam Springs. It was surveyed and platted by David Chandler for G. W. Mitchell, its original proprietor. It contains a large public square surrounded with lots. Dr. J. H. Neagle built the first house in the village. It stands at the northeast corner of the public square. R. B. Mitchell opened the first store, and has continued in business ever since. The post-office was established the next year after the town was laid out, and R. B. Wilson was made postmaster, and still holds the office. Following Wilson, several parties opened stores, but soon left. Following is the present business of the village: General stores, R. B. Wilson, W. I. Richardson; drugs and groceries, Mitchell & Bro.; hotel, David Chandler; blacksmith, J. Johnson; woodwork, J. E. Stewart; physician, J. R. Floyd. The Masonic hall building was put up in 1871 by the Masons. The lodge hall is in the second story, and the lower room is used by all religious demoninations that choose to have it. The Rogers Academy is a fine two-story brick building, with seating capacity for 150 pupils. Prof. A. B. Marbury is principal of this school. He teaches all branches ordinarily taught in high-schools, and also the public school in connection with his school.
Bloomfield Lodge No. 243, A. F. & A. M., was chartered in 1871, and William Kellum was the first W. M. The present membership of the lodge is from forty-five to fifty, and the officers are Z. T. Mitchell, W. M.; William Parker, S. W.; James Peek, J. W. This has always been a prosperous lodge. It is out of debt and has money on hand.
The Bloomfield Steam Roller Mills are located three-fourths of a mile south of the village. These mills have just undergone repairs, have had the roller process apparatus put in, and are thus prepared to make the best of flour.
This town was extensively laid out early in the eighties, occupying nearly all of the southeast quarter of Section 31, Town 20 north, Range 33 west, being seventeen miles west of Bentonville on a straight line. There being good springs there, it was established for a watering place or summer resort, and for a short time it had a business boom, but now it contains only one small country store.
Back to: Benton County, Arkansas History
Source: History of Benton, Washington, Carroll, Madison, Crawford, Franklin, and Sebastian Counties, Arkansas. Chicago, IL, USA: Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1889.