Location & Information
- Six miles west of Rich Mountain on Highway 270-59 upon the high hill just East of the Howard Community
- SE 1/4, Section 31, Township 1 North, Range 32 West
- Not on the Polk County, Arkansas Tax Roll
There were no railroads, no church cemeteries in the days when people first came to this valley. There were no funeral homes, no neighbors helped neighbors when a loved one died. When there was a death, the burial was the next day.
When John Robert Little, the uncle of Bessie Gilbert, died he left his widow, Lillie, and four children. The oldest child was eleven years old. Lillie raised her family in the Howard Community, on the land homesteaded by the Little’s.
Joseph H. Henderson who is buried in the Howard Cemetery is the kin of John Robert Little’s wife.
There are several unnamed and unmarked graves in this cemetery. Only two graves have names and dates. There are no tombstones.
Information furnished by Mrs. Bessie Little Gilbert
- Henderson, Joseph H. – d. 1917
- Little, John Robert – 1854-1914