Bulger Cemetery, Potter, Arkansas
From a map furnished by the Authors, we guessed at the directions to this cemetery. 71 South, right on 375 at Potter Junction, Stay straight on Polk 170, Left at “T” on Polk 37, Right at “Y” on Polk 38, cross the Mountain Fork River, right on Polk 40. Cemetery should be on right just past Polk 157 Intersection.
? Section 33, Township 2 South, Range 32 West ?
Parcel # ?
In 1883 Mr. & Mrs. F. M. Strawn came to Polk County to a place known as Bulger, Arkansas. At this location was a general store, post office and church, with its nearby cemetery. The church was the Hope Methodist Church. The cemetery was quite large in 1883 and it is believed that part of the cemetery has been lost and is not contained in the present area of the Bulger Cemetery.
The post master at that time was a Mr. Stinnett. The post office stayed in use until 1897. School was conducted in the Hope Methodist Church. There are about one hundred graves with no names or dates. In consideration of the facts herein stated, there was a Bulger Cemetery in existence before 1833.
- Payne, Mrs. T. L (see Temperance Lavenia Largent Payne)
- Largent, Temperance Lavenia (Payne) b. 10/12/1832 in Burke County, North Carolina d. 3/2/1915 near Hatfield, Polk County, Arkansas.
Husband: Abner Burgess Payne, Father: Thomas Largent, Mother: Lucinda Ownes. Husband buried in Waldron Arkansas.
Husband died on trip from Missouri to Arkansas.