Cherokee City

The village of Cherokee City is situated in Section 26, Town 19, Range 34, about three-fourths of a mile from the Indian Territory line. It was surveyed by David Chandler in 1880, for himself, James Ingle and M. D. Cunningham, the original proprietors. Before the war there was a place kept on the opposite side of the branch at Cherokee City, called “Hog Eye,” where whisky was kept to sell to the Indians. Cherokee City was built up in 1881 and 1882, by a “boom” it acquired as a summer resort. Like several other places, it has some excellent springs

Map of the Battle of Pea Ridge

Battle of Pea Ridge

This great battle, having been fought in Benton County, deserves a prominent place in its history. On the 18th day of February, 1862, the Federal army, commanded by Maj.-Gen. Samuel B. Curtis, crossed the State line from Missouri and went into camp on Sugar Creek, near Brightwater, in Benton County, Ark. “The Third and Fourth Divisions advanced from this position twelve miles farther south to Cross Hollows, where also the headquarters of Gen. Curtis were established, and the First and Second to Bentonville, twelve miles to the southwest, while a strong cavalry force, under Gen. Asboth, went to Osage Springs.

Bentonville, Arkansas

The origin and location of Bentonville, the county seat of Benton County, has been given in connection with the organization of the county. Being established in 1837, the first store opened in the place was managed by Dr. Nicholas Spring, under the firm name of Blythe & Spring, and the next one was opened by two brothers, John G. and William T. Walker. Blythe & Spring had a pretty fair stock of goods, but the Walkers had a broken stock, worth only about $800. In 1840 or 1841 another store was opened by some parties from Fayetteville, and in 1850

Bloomfield Township

The village of Bloomfield lies on Round Prairie, six miles north of Siloam Springs. It was surveyed and platted by David Chandler for G. W. Mitchell, its original proprietor. It contains a large public square surrounded with lots. Dr. J. H. Neagle built the first house in the village. It stands at the northeast corner of the public square. R. B. Mitchell opened the first store, and has continued in business ever since. The post-office was established the next year after the town was laid out, and R. B. Wilson was made postmaster, and still holds the office. Following Wilson,

Brightwater Township

This little village is prettily located on the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad, five miles north of Rogers. It was laid out in 1881 by Albert Peel, who built the first house and opened the first store in the place. It now contains the railroad depot, two stores, kept, respectively, by Albert Peel and J. R. Dunagin, a blacksmith shop and grain warehouse, also a district school-house. Grain, railroad ties, fence posts and fruits, especially small fruits, are extensively shipped from this station. Brightwater is a station on the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad, two miles northeast of

The Arkansas Traveler

Who has not read and been greatly amused with the account of the “Arkansas Travelers?” Perhaps but few people are aware that some one in Benton County was connected with the authorship and preparation of that funny and interesting article. The reputed author of the “Arkansas Traveler” was Col. Sandy Faulkner, of Little Rock, and the individual who drew the illustrations which accompanied and formed a part of the article was Edward Washburn, a son of Rev. Ceaphas Washburn, a Presbyterian minister, who lived in Benton County, about six miles southwest of Bentonville, on the farm now occupied by L.

Benton County, Arkansas Bar

The first attorney of the Benton County bar was A. B. Greenwood, now familiarly called “Judge” Greenwood. He settled at Bentonville the year the county was organized, and except when absent on official business has resided here ever since. For the first four years of the existence of the county he constituted the whole bar, being the only resident attorney. Attorneys from abroad, however, came here to practice. At a ripe old age the Judge is vigorous and active. He has had much to do in making the history of this county, and has imparted much information to the compiler