In March 1864, two years after Sarah Caroline Adair Watson became a widow at age 25, she married Robert Newton Vinson/Vincent. At that time Robert was a 19 year old farmer, and, according to the 1870 and 1880 censuses, he could not read or write, even though he had attended school. Robert’s middle initial has been recorded as A, N, and W, although his middle name was Newton. His father was Elijah Vincent, a Tennessee native born about 1812, his mother was Susan ___, born about 1808 in Virginia or Tennessee. His eldest sibling, Elizabeth, was born in Tennessee about 1829, and beside her name on the 1860 census the word “idiot” is written.By August of 1870, Robert had moved with Sarah and her two children, Celie Ann and George, two counties west, where they were living in Wyatt Township of Fulton County. He and Sarah had been married six years, but had produced no children. Celie Ann was 11 years old, George was seven. Apparently, Sarah died shortly after this, as Robert remarried to Elizabeth Ann Tyler on 18 May 1876. He was 31, she was 18, Celie Ann would have been 17, and George 13. Elizabeth was born 15 July 1857, in Arkansas, the daughter of Arkansas natives, Francis M. Tyler and Delana Lale. She and Robert had attended school, but could not read. In June, 1880, George was living with them, and was the only person in the household who could read, however, he could not write. By this time, Robert and Elizabeth had produced two children, Mary E. (born 2 September 1877) and Joseph (born 18 January 1880). Joseph lived a little over a year, dying on 14 February 1881. A third child, Edward W., was born 11 August 1890 and died 6 March 1896. Elizabeth died on 27 January 1901 at age 43, and Robert on 27 December 1904 at age 59. They, and the two children who predeceased them, are buried in Thompson Cemetery, Randolph County, located northwest of Pocahontas and east of Ravenden Springs.
Family of Elijah VINCENT (b. 1812, TN, d. <5 Sep 1860)
and Susan _____ (b. 1808,
VA or TN)
1. Elizabeth VINCENT (b. ca. 1828, TN)
2. Mary Jane VINCENT (b. ca. 1831, IL) m. 26 May 1852, Randolph Co., AR, Gilbert Lafayette TYLER, son of James TYLER and Elizabeth _____.
3. James M. VINCENT (b. ca. 1833, TN) m. (1) 6 Nov 1859, Randolph Co., AR, Louisa Nancy HOSKINS (b. 1840, TN), (2) Oct 1865, Randolph Co., AR Martha J. TYLER (b. 1846, Randolph Co., TN), (3) 19 Jun 1890, Randolph Co., AR, Mary Jane HULVEY (b. Oct 1864)
4. John Carroll VINCENT (b. ca. 1835, KY) m. 26 Aug 1858, Randolph Co., AR, Margaret TYLER
5. Joseph VINCENT (b. ca. 1839, IL) m. 27 Jun 1858, Randolph Co., AR, Mary ADAIR (b. ca. 1824)
6. Robert Newton VINSON (b. 3 Mar 1845, AR, d. 27 Dec 1904, bur. Thompson Cem., Randolph Co., AR) m. (1) 20 Mar 1864, Randolph Co., AR, Sarah Caroline Adair WATSON (b. 11 May 1837, AR) daughter of William ADAIR and Mahala WOMACK, (2) 18 May 1876, Randolph Co., AR, Elizabeth A. TYLER (b. 15 Jul 1857, d. 27 Jan 1901, Randolph Co., AR, bur. Thompson Cemetery, Randolph Co., AR), (3) 6 Oct 1901, Clay Co., AR, Mrs. Frances POE.
Family of Robert Newton VINSON and Elizabeth A. TYLER:
1. Mary E. VINSON (b. 2 Sep 1877, Pocahontas, Randolph Co., AR, d. 22 Apr 1966, Knobel, Clay Co., AR, bur. Hosea Cem., Knobel, Clay Co., AR), m. (1) 30 Jun 1895, Randolph Co., AR, William F. RUSSELL, (2) James L. SMITH.
2. Joseph VINSON (b. 18 Jan 1880, Randolph Co., AR, d. 14 Feb 1881, bur. Thompson Cemetery, Randolph Co., AR)
3. Elijah Baker VINSON (b. 15 Feb 1883, Pocahontas, Randolph Co., AR, d. Jun 1942, Madiera, CA, bur. Klamath Falls, OR) m. (1) Flora SPORE, (2) Mary M. HUGHES.
4. William Henry VINSON (b. 10 May 1885, Knobel, Clay Co., AR, d. 18 Feb 1969, Beaumont, Riverside Co., CA, bur. Desert View Memorial Park, San Bernardino, San Bernardino Co., CA), m. 1908 Randolph Co., AR, Rosetta Catherine Lawhorn (b. 13 Nov 1893, Batesville, Independence Co., AR, d. 18 Oct 1968, bur. Desert View Memorial Park, San Bernardino, San Bernardino Co., CA)
5. Robert Newton VINSON, Jr. (b. 20 Sep 1887, Clay Co., AR, d. Feb 1933, Mena, Polk Co., AR) m. 1909 Knobel, Clay Co., AR, Mary M. Hughes.
6. Edward W. VINSON (b. 11 Aug 1890, Randolph Co., AR, d. 6 Mar 1896, bur. Thompson Cemetery, Randolph Co., AR).
7. John C. VINSON (b. 30 Jan 1895, Pocahontas, Randolph Co., AR, d. 10 Sep 1980, Lane Co., OR, bur. Gilliland Cem., Sweet Home, Linn Co., OR), m. 10 Sept 1916, Knobel, Clay Co., AR, Lillie Mae ALLEN (b. 5 Sep 1898, Clay Co., AR, d. 25 Feb 1984, Lebanon, Linn Co., OR, bur. Gilliland Cem., Sweet Home, Linn Co., OR), daug. of David J. ALLEN and Estella Mae CLOVER.
Special thanks go to Dee Ida Montgomery, Robert H. Vinson, and Harry Jack Vinson for much of the information on the family of Robert Newton VINSON and Elizabeth A. TYLER.
If you have any questions, comments, or additional information, please do not hesitate to e-mail me at S_cotStout@aol.com (be sure to remove the underscore after the first character before e-mailing).
Updated 17 Sep 2010.